The Land Dreams in Ceremonies: Reparation Ceremony #10 *Stoltz*

 


The Gift of One Branch: During my decade-long rapport with Devil’s Club, she has allowed me to take 1 branch per year when/ if she freely gives herself to me.  I stumbled upon her in the forest shortly after we moved to Stoltz.  Next to her was a feather. I was instructed to attach herbs to it and return with these within a week.  Upon return, I was directed to tromp thru swamp and underbrush to find one branch, previously broken and now mended.  A year later, returning to this location, she was elusive, and no matter how I tried, I could not find her.  Clearly, that year, I did not take a branch. On this third visit, yet another year later, I found her with ease.  I asked if I may have one branch, and if so, to be shown which to take.  My attention was drawn to a stand about 15 feet away, and to one plant in particular that was somewhat curvy with several sprouting branches.  As I got closer, I realized this branch had very few spikes on it, which I was thankful for as I had no scissors.  She broke with ease just above a node, and I was very grateful for the gift!


The Medicine of Thorns: The Pysanka is written with symbols of mirrored mountains strung together on a band, representing the thorny branches of Devil’s Club found in hills and mountains of the region.  The symbol at the top and bottom of the Pysanka are for protection and containment of the fertility of the land.  Thorns and spikes in Ukrainian folklore are providers of protection.  Amulets to protect health and well-being can be crafted from thistles, as well as any thorny branches or pods.


Temporary Medicine: In Ukrainian folk practice, many amulets and talisman are “temporary.”  They are intended to do a job – often absorbing illness and negativity – and then are released.  The method of release is determined by the job they perform and by the season of letting go.  I feel the land at Stoltz was like a temporary amulet for us.  It held us twice.  The two stays were separated by a few years, and each stay lasted a relatively short time (weeks/ months).  Each stay was an opportunity to catch our breath, followed by moves to locations that held us for a couple of years.  It is truly important to honour the gift of temporary medicine.


Shadow Walking: I have learned that when the spirits go “quiet” or are elusive, I have either missed some important piece of information or have not fully understood or integrated a previous lesson from them. These silences are (uncomfortable) indications of work I need to do.





Comments

Popular Posts